Morphological – adult
- Face fulvous with a pair of medium sized oval black spots
- scutum red-brown with pale fuscous patterning posteriorly
- postpronotal lobes and notopleura yellow
- mesopleural stripe reaching to or almost to anterior npl. seta dorsally
- medium width parallel sided lateral postsutural vittae ending at or just behind ia. seta
- medial postsutural vitta absent
- scutellum yellow
- legs with all segments entirely fulvous except apices of femora red-brown and hind tibiae pale fuscous to fuscous
- wings with cells bc and c colourless and entirely devoid of microtrichia
- a narrow fuscous costal band confluent with R2+3 and ending at apex of this vein
- a small oval fuscous spot across apex of R4+5
- anal streak reduced to a pale tint within cell cup; supernumerary lobe of medium development
- abdominal terga III-V red-brown with a ‘T’ pattern consisting of a narrow transverse black band across anterior margin of tergum III (this band is often broken in the central region) and a narrow medial longitudinal black band over all three terga (this band is often reduced to a stripe over parts of terga IV and V)
- narrow anterolateral fuscous corners on terga IV and V
- a pair of oval red-brown shining spots on tergum V
- posterior lobe of male surstylus short
- female with apex of aculeus needle shaped (Drew and Romig 2013).
Morphological – larvae
Information not available.
Diagnostic BOLD reference data available.
B. zonata ZON001 Classic specimen EIF3L
PCR-RFLP Test 1
BsrI: 600, 200
HinfI: Does not cut
HhaI: 680, 190
Sau3AI: Does not cut
SnaBI: 535, 330
SspI: 750, 120
Vspl: Does not cut
Approximate ITS1 fragment length – gel: 850 bp
PCR-RFLP Test 2
No fully diagnostic restriction enzymes, but a combination of several can be chosen to distinguish B. zonata from other Bactrocera and species in other genera.